Patching SharePoint 2010 is a two-step process now.
- First updated patch binaries has to be installed
- Then psconfig.exe must be run manually to update the SharePoint databases.
In order to update the SharePoint databases, you must manually run the PSconfig.exe utility. Follow below steps:
1. Open an command prompt as adminitrator.
2. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
3. Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures
Note: The sharepoint site will be inaccessible while the command is running. It is best to run the command after office hours.
Sometimes you might face following error: Sharepoint 2010 Product configuration wizard failing at step 9/10. below is the fix for it.
- try clearing the cache.ini
- you can find it in location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUId
- go inside the GUID and look for cache.ini
- reset the value to 1
- run the command stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
- try running the below command
- psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force