RSS

28 Jun

This is my last project in MBC (Middle east Broadcasting Centre) developed for our IT/Engineering Service Desk. Our Service Desk is currently using a solution from Computer Associates (CA) called Unicenter Service DeskThis is a very successful product of CA  but  it’s usability experience is very bad.

As a quick solution myself and my team member Mr. Salih Abdul Rahman decided to use Sharepoint 2007 as  front end for Service Desk. we had brain storming sessions…..&….. finally  we explored Webservices provided by CA which was very helpful to incorporate with MOSS. so we developed all the forms and views using ASP.NET and made User controls and incorporated with sharepoint using smartpart. also created some graphics work(Sharepoint master page) to make the Usability experience much easier and richer. below is the screenshot of our SD Portal.

This is a pure sharepoint site which is highly customized to integrate CA Service Desk application functionalities.

SD_Details

Place Log Comment / View Log History
sd2
Technologies Used

User Controls   :
   Visual Studio 2008 (ASP.NET .ascx)
Business Logis  :   XML Webservices
MOSS Integration  :  Smart Part
Scripts :    Jquery, CSS
Database:   SQl Server 2005
User interface design  :  Adobe Photoshop , Microsoft Expression

Advertisements

11 Comments

Posted by on June 28, 2009 in Projects, Smart Part

Tags: , ,

11 responses to “Integration of CA Unicenter Service Desk application with Sharepoint 2007 using XML Webservices

1. Melanie

August 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM

HI guys,
    I am curious as to how long it took to develop the integration between Sharepoint and CA Servicedesk using XML-how many hours and how many people? I have a client in the US interested in doing something similar.
    thanks!
    melanie

2. Elvis

October 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM

This sounds really exciting. Are you willing to share any code (Queries) or a more detailed description on how you achieved that?

Regards
    Elvis

3. Hank

July 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM

This sounds interesting. Any chance you would share the code?

4. Larry Dalton

December 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Where can I get a sample of this? At least the webservice queries/setups?

5. John

December 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Hi Jim!

I’m John, from Argentina. We’re working in a similar integration (between SharePoint 2007 and USD r11). Do you have any examples to give us?.

Thanks in advance.

Jhon.

6. Nico

February 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Hi Jim,
    How did you handle the authentication in this aproach?
    I don’t know which authentication methods the USB web services provides.

7. Jim Mathew

June 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. Here is a good reference for using CA unicenter web service

If you know how to build ASP.NET user controls, you can easily integrate with SharePoint. Authentication is managed by unicenter web service.

Cheers,
    Jim

8. five mistakes

December 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Your site is really interesting to me and your subject matter is very relevant. I was browsing around and came across something you might find interesting. I was guilty of 3 of them with my sites. “99% of site owners are doing these five mistakes”. http://tinyurl.com/84ettp3 You will be suprised how easy they are to fix.

9. Santiago.

August 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Hi Jim,
    great job!! is very nice, how are you?. I try to find some jQuery to get the pending request, but can not find information about it (or do not look good), can you tell me how to get the pending request?

regards